Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Catchup

Here are photos of the bookshop as it exists at the moment.

A not-so-small magic accounts for the new aisles: I took back all the shelving I'd hope to negotiate possession of (from the old large building), and this left me with most of my books on tables and on the floor. I was lamenting the situation to a friend as I made several photocopies for a stranger who'd just walked in. He overheard me and said he'd just closed his video shop in another town and would I like to buy his shelves for a very low price?

And so I did.


Five more tall pine shelves are being built as we speak, and before long the walls will be covered with them.

Everything's still in progress. The kids' corner is dim and uninviting. Probably I will move it to the sunny front window area.




And the Romance nook. Sigh. Well, they're all on the shelves, but I need better lighting, and a little decor ...




PoetThomas made me these temporary window signs.




New employee Rory, a musician and artist who just moved here from Canada, is in the process of painting my official "signage":


3 comments:

mb said...

Ooooh. Looks like a bookstore. I can't believe you've even acquired an employee while blogger's back was turned. Where in Canada is he from??

samcandide said...

Um, he is a man of mystery. I think he is either a hit man or a priest on vacation. Though he says he's here for two years. But I don't know why. He lives at a nearby motel, for free. But I don't know why.

He's lived in Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, & Vancouver area. He speaks with a combined Canada Irish accent, but he grew up in La Jolla. He plays the pennywhistle, fiddle, and uilleann pipes.

I have TWO employees, an accountant, and an official payroll. I just don't understand how it happened ...

Karen M said...

Oh, my word! A payroll... Sam, you will be a great boss. All of my best bosses have been Capricorns.

The mysterious pennywhistling Canadian surely sounds intriguing...

On the topic of business... may we conduct some here? If so, I'm interested in finding things by Weldon Kees, preferably affordable, but if they're dear, I'm still interested.

I have to admit that I laughed almost out loud at the photo of the romance section. It would be a perfect setting for a romantic comedy starring the likes of Janeane Garofalo.

It was sooo wonderful to come home to this invitation, and to a photo update of the literary hangout in Alturas. I've really missed you and your cast and crew.

I was at a reading and book-signing earlier for Elizabeth Gilbert, who read a small excerpt from her book, Eat, Pray, Love, a book that a friend gave me a while ago, but which I had just happened to start reading last week. She's very engaging, especially in person.